Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sew much fun ...


Hello again.  I hope you all are enjoying our first week of November.  It's been chilly here with a mix of snow forecast for Friday.  I trust that will come during the night so I don't actually have to see it.  I'm not sure that I'm quite ready for snow in the air ... at least not yet.  I'd like to get through Thanksgiving first!

In the true spirit of Autumn, the designers at Embellish Magazine are featuring "vintage" this week with the lovely colors of green, yellow, and rust.  Isn't the photo gorgeous?  And who could pass by another fabulous sketch offered by the team at The Waltzing Mouse?  Surely not me.  So here is my divine inspiration ...



Earlier this week I had wonderful box full of SU! goodies arrive at my door.  Enthusiastically, I dug in.  There, stacked amongst the papers, embellishments and buttons was my treasure ... Puns from the Past.  Silly, I know - but I love the images in this stamp set....just take a look.  I was drawn to the sewing machine for this vintage challenge (and I admit I couldn't resist the pun.)  Forgive me.




I used scraps of Designer Series Papers and the sketch for my layout.  Trying to keep to the motif of the image/sentiment, I had all kinds of sewing doo-dads laying out on my worktable and put most of them away.  It's easy for me to "over-embellish" (as if that's possible) ... so sometimes I have to stop myself!  I stitched around the sleeve and added buttons along the bottom to give the the card texture.




A cardboard thread spool (what do you call these things?) dyed with Cajun Craze Classic Ink and wound with Victoria Lace was perfect.  My sentiment is stamped with the same color and punched out with our Word Window Punch.  I added Linen Thread and attached it all with a safety pin to the green twill ribbon found in my scraps while digging for the above mentioned doo-dads.




The tag is the sweetest sewing machine I've ever seen!  Stamped in Cajun Craze, our Decorative Label Punch provided the shape.  An eyelet and some Linen Thread were added.  I smushed (there is no other word for it) Sahara Sand Classic Ink on both tags to give them an aged look.  The card base is Garden Green Cardstock and the images are stamped on Whisper White.

There's more vintage over at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Thank you for stopping by ... I hope to see you here again soon!


.

7 comments:

  1. How sweet! Love this! Thanks so much for joining the Embellish vintage color challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card. I love the pocket on the front for that cute little tag. The cardboard bobbin with the crochet trim is so vintage! Love it. What a great card for a friend. And you got a visit and comment from the talented Miss Ashley! Woo Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is "sew" cute! Love the lace ribbon around the ribbon card and the buttons and sewing machine are perfect! Fabulous take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely card, Joanne - great colouring and composition, and I love the pun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card and the added embellishments! Thanks for playing along with Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely, the embellishing is totally fab! Thanks for playing along with the Mischief Makers this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the vintage sewing theme! So glad you could join us in the Embellish challenge.

    ReplyDelete